Wednesday, July 30, 2008

In the blizzard of '77

Whoops, it's been two and a half months since I've updated. My b, like I mentioned before, I forgot I have this thing. And with no readers as of yet, who am I writing for? Myself, I guess.

So update on me quickly, that trip to Spain/Europe isn't happening. Long story short, the tickets my aunt had booked for herself were non-transferable, therefore even changing the first name on the tickets was a no-go. Lame, but it's cool. Instead I'm leaving for LA next Thursday, then going up to San Francisco, and from there helping my friend Keri move (aka drive) to Chicago. I'm pretty excited, since I was only in LA once three years ago, was in SF for a day but only went to the movies, and should have been in Chicago for a day but my flight was oversold and I had to wait in the airport for 9 hours! So this time I'll get to spend quality time in each city, and lucky for me I have some good friends in each city I'll get to see as well. So yay for that. I'll try to give some updates while I'm away.

I went to the library the other day and took out a pretty good stack of CDs. There's a lot of music I have been meaning to check out for the longest time, so I finally made a list of what I could think of and went searching at the library. Here's what I came home with:

Ryan Adams - Easy Tiger
Iggy Pop - Lust For Life
James Brown - Live at the Apollo
Detroit Cobras - Baby
The Jam - The Jam Collection
BT - Emotional Technology
My Bloody Valentine - Isn't Anything
Out Hud - Let Us Never Speak Of It Again
Notorious B.I.G. - Life After Death
Ramones - Ramones Mania
Jesse Malin - The Fine Art of Self Destruction
Nada Surf - Let Go

I'm pretty excited to listen to all of these. I have songs here and there of all these artists, but not full albums. I'm listening to Nada Surf's Let Go right now. I knew "Blizzard of '77" from when I was at CMJ two years ago, talking with a friend (who happens to be in one of my favorite bands) that I've noticed often sings lyrics to songs when something is said that's similar. It was a cold night in New York and I was comparing the weather to Boston where I go to school, mentioning my first winter there and how we had a blizzard, and that a couple cars got plowed under all of the snow we had. "In the blizzard of '77, the cars were just lumps on the snow snow" he sang, the opening lines to the album.

At work if I have nothing to listen to, I sometimes peruse muxtape.com, and "Inside of Love" happened to be on this one particular playlist. "Is that Nada Surf?" one of the guys I work with yelled from across the room. I wrote the name of the song down so I wouldn't forget it. I'm halfway through the album right now, and I don't know why it took me so long to get this CD. Even with my friend's recommendation two years ago, I just never got around to it. It's too bad, I think it's going to become a favorite.

I hope I'll be this excited about the rest of the albums I brought home.

3 comments:

mai said...

ha alix. i don't know. he was my fave cousin when i was little before i moved to the states. i don't have a favorite now. and he's like late 20s/or 30. he could be on the donor list for years and years. dialysis is 8-12 hrs a day, 3 times a week. that's like half your life.

mai said...

p.s. u need to make an RSS feed so i can put it to my feed

Anonymous said...

oh and here you call me a good friend!

i love stalking you on the interweb